Supercars cancellation another major blow to Gold Coast

Supercars cancellation another major blow to Gold Coast

0 Shares
5
0
0

With reports confirmed Supercars have made the decision to cancel the Gold Coast round, which was scheduled to be the season finale on December 3-5.

With many other cancellations striking the Supercars calendar and a new one set to be released in the coming days, it’s sadly been confirmed the event has been shelved for another year and could signal a shakeup for dates in 2022.

The event is the biggest on the Gold Coast calendar and brings more than 50 million dollars to the economy. Still, the sad reality of hosting the event amid the COVID landscape has proven impossible for the second year in a row.

This is another blow to the events sector, with major cancellations the normal for the past eighteen months and other big events even skipping the city in 2022, with the World Surf League leaving the city off the calendar for the upcoming tour.

Mayor Tom Tate told the bulletin that talks between the state government and Supercars bosses had been unable to find a way to hold the event safely“Devastating. That’s the only way to describe it,” he said.

Hopefully, with the vaccination rate picking up, this will be the last of the cancellations we see for a while; Supercars is expected to move to a Bathurst Super weekend of racing in December and have two events possibly held at Queensland raceway.

Supercars is expected to release the adjusted calendar and further announcements in the coming days.



You May Also Like